18 sheets ready-made filo pastry
(unwrap and keep under a damp tea-towel until you are ready to use)
225g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
225g mixed pistachios and walnuts, roughly chopped
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
For the syrup:
350g granulated sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon orange blossom water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C 350°F Gas 4.
- Grease a 17cm x 28cm (11in x 7in) baking tray with butter.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over low heat or in a microwave.
- Lay 10 sheets of filo pastry, one at a time, into the tray, brushing each sheet with butter before adding the next.
- In a clean bowl, mix together the nuts, sugar and cardamom and spread the mixture over the pastry in the tray.
- Layer up the remaining sheets on top of the nut mixture, brushing each sheet with butter, as before.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a criss-cross pattern into the top layers of the pastry.
- Place in the preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes, then decrease the temperature to 150°C 300°F Gas 2
- Cook for an additional half hour to 40 minutes, or until the pastry is slightly puffed and golden on top.
- Do not allow the top to burn. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- For the syrup, heat the sugar, water, lemon juice and orange blossom water in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan and
- cook over a medium heat until the sugar has melted and a syrup is formed. (This will take about 20 minutes or so.)
- Pour the syrup into the slits in the baklava and leave to cool. Cut into small diamond-shaped pieces and serve.
225g Self-Raising Flour
- Cream butter or margarine and honey together.
- Beat eggs and add alternatively with sifted flour and salt to creamed mixture.
- Add fruit and enough milk if necessary to give a dropping consistency.
- Turn into well greased 7 inch round tin
- Bake for about 1¼ - 1½ hours in a moderate (150°C) oven
- Allow to cool a little then turn out onto wire cake stand and leave to cool.
100g soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
2 tablespoons honey
225g SR wholemeal flour
- Cream together the butter and sugar
- add egg and vanilla essence
- Beat in the honey and add the flour bit by bit until you have a soft dough.
- Cover and leave in fridge for an hour.
- Make little balls of mixture and place on greased baking tray flatten each one a little.
- Bake in oven gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F for about 10 mins.